My Year of the Bird - Fall Edition (or a Tale of Three Thrushes)




My interest in birds began as a way to participate in citizen science. Being a citizen scientist over the last year (and some) has enriched my life in ways I did not expect. I had always enjoyed being outside but my appreciation for the natural world, and the ways in which everything is connected (including us!) has deepened. It has also led to an avalanche of questions that I am hungry to answer and explore. Will the robins return to their nest again next spring? How often are owls hiding in these trees just out of sight? Which of the trees on my street are native species? How many different bird species came to this area before all of these ornamental trees were planted? Why do bumble bees love my Globe Thistles? 


 As summer turned to fall, migrating birds continued to use my backyard as a stopping point en route to warmer climes. A Swainson’s Thrush was a common visitor for a few days.

Swainson's Thrush

As September came to an end, so did the balmy weather. With October came snow, and lots of it. On the afternoon of the big dump of snow a small flock of Mountain Bluebirds came through and landed on my larch. Speckled-chested thrushes skulked in the Dogwood and occasionally flew into the Mayday tree. 

A Thrush in the snow

I was on the lookout for a Hermit Thrush – distinguished from the Swainson’s by its ruddy tail feathers. I thanked this fellow for turning around for the full view – a Hermit!

Hermit Thrush

To round out my autumn thrush collection, we had a Varied Thrush come to visit a few days later. What a feast for the eyes as the larch needles had turned a deep gold.

Varied Thrush

I figured that the warblers had all passed through by now and was surprised and very delighted when this beauty stopped by, even with all the snow. A Cape May Warbler – be still my heart!

Cape May Warbler

On Halloween Day I drove out to Hay Meadows in Kananaskis to take part in a remarkable citizen science project that has been carried out for over 25 years – Eagle Watch. Each day during fall and spring migration, volunteers count migrating Golden Eagles and other birds on their way south. I stand in awe of their dedication, especially given the varied weather conditions they endure to count these birds. I witnessed over a dozen Golden Eagles flying south along the ridgelines.

Scoping for Golden Eagles at Hay Meadows

On my way back to Calgary I noticed some swans and geese were enjoying a pond at the Jumpingpound turnoff. I snapped a photo of this Trumpeter Swan and continued my trip home.

Trumpeter Swan

 To broaden my experience as a citizen scientist, and because it looked like a lot of fun, I signed up for Project Feederwatch. For two days each week from November to April, I track the birds that are attracted to my backyard plantings and feeders. This has taken my backyard birdwatching to a whole new level!

Hairy Woodpecker

To round out my 2018 Year of the Bird, we went out on the hunt for Snowy Owls. We didn’t have to drive far out of the city before we saw this fine specimen.


When I look back on 2018 I’ll always remember it as My Year of the Bird. I started the year as a relatively new bird watcher and couldn’t have guessed at all of the amazing experiences I would have as a citizen scientist. From the Northern Saw-whet Owl to the Cape May Warbler and everything in between, it has been a very good year. I still keep my binoculars close at hand and submit the birds I see routinely in my community. eBird appreciates the every day counts even more than the rare sightings, it turns out. I’m looking forward to 2019 and the opportunity to continue to share my enthusiasm for birds and citizen science Calgary students. Where will citizen science take me next?








Comments