My Year of the Bird - Fall/Winter Edition




The truth is – I didn’t really know much about birds until about a year ago. I signed up for Fall Birding with Friends of Fish Creek Park at the end of last year, and that’s how it all began.

That first outing at Carburn Park was a revelation. OK, so I may have been able to tell you what a Chickadee was, but other than that I was pretty clueless. I started to learn.

Black-capped Chickadee

White-breasted Nuthatch

Northern Flicker

 I started paying attention to the birds in my own neighbourhood. So, that’s a House Sparrow!
 
Captivated Birdwatcher

House Sparrow


 Other birds kept stopping by. How had I never noticed these beauties before?

Dark-eyed Junco

Pine Siskins

White-crowned Sparrows 

Cedar Waxwing

And one of my favourite "yard birds": the ever flitting and oh, so small Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet


The weekly outings with the birding group kept delivering delight after delight. We have Great Blue Herons in Calgary? And who is this sweet little shorebird – a Killdeer! And is that a Pterodactyl or a Pileated Woodpecker?

Great Blue Heron

Killdeer

Pileated Woodpecker

 Back to Fish Creek for even more. I’d be lucky if I had ever caught a fleeting glimpse of a Blue Jay before, and here they were. Amazing what a pair of binoculars and an ever-patient birding leader will produce.

Blue Jays

Common Goldeneye

Hooded Merganser

Belted Kingfisher

Black-backed Woodpecker

 
So I decided to go it alone. I ventured to a park a little closer to home that was known to house more than a bird or two. Baker Park solo without a leader. The highlight of the day was when I heard a Boreal Chickadee. I had learned to differentiate their call from that of the Black-capped. I scoured the thick Spruce boughs with my binoculars but couldn’t catch a glimpse. Just then it flitted across the path and landed on a branch right beside me.

Boreal Chickadee

 Winter came and so did the Common Redpolls. They feasted at my feeders in large numbers all winter long.

Common Redpoll

 Last, but not least, it was the owls. I have lived in my neighbourhood for almost ten years. Never before had I noticed an owl - or anything other than Crows, Magpies, and Chickadees, really. And last winter – 2 owls. Each within 500 metres of my home!

The first was on a snowy morning, just a few days before Christmas. I was out on my daily dog walk/bird count. Just halfway around the stormwater pond I notice a lump in the trees.


 I stood frozen in place, in awe of the Great Horned Owl.



Valentine’s Day brought another gift. I was headed home after dropping my daughter off at her bus stop. A cacophony in the Spruce tree beside the path stopped me in my tracks. The Magpies and Chickadees were unrelentingly harassing something. I had learned enough in my birding course to stop and see what it was. Sure enough, a little owl. A Northern Saw-whet this time. I was an audience of one for the drama unfolding over several minutes.

Northern Saw-whet Owl

 Finally, the more regular local residents prevailed. The Northern Saw-whet was chased away by a lowly Black-capped Chickadee.

Northern Saw-whet Owl Fleeing the Scene

Black-capped Chickadee chases Northern Saw-whet Owl

 Next up: Spring. Stay tuned to find out who hatched right outside my front door…

My Year of the Bird - Spring Edition





Comments